Perfect Humans

The Most Scariest Movie Ever Made


"Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein."






I was about seven years of age, maybe eight or nine. It was a long time ago, colour television was still a few years away.



It was a Saturday night and I was anticipating staying up late and watching the late night movie on television with my older sisters.  The late night movie show was called "Shock Theatre Presents." It featured a different horror movie every Saturday night, at 12 o'clock. That night it featured "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" starring Abbott and Costello that funny comedic team, famous for the Radio sketch, "Who's on First." I guess they figured it couldn't have been too scary, not with a comedy team like those two starring in it.  They were wrong.

This 1948 movie was the first in a series of horror-comedy films for the pair. It had worn itself out at the theatres and now was a second rate film for the late night television audience. In this film Bud and Lou meet; Count Dracula, Frankenstein's monster and the Wolf-man, the Mummy makes a signature appearance at the end. 

I still remembered watching as Lon Chaney turned into the Wolf-man.  I was spell bound, how did they do that?  It looks so amateurish by today's standards but at the time, it scared the hell out of me.  To actually see a man turn into a wolf.  You can imagine my imagination at the time, a kid.  I was truly frightened...

It so happens this movie has been selected by Readers Digest in 2007 as one of the top 100 funniest films of all time. The Library of Congress selected this movie as culturally and historically significant  and placed it in the National Film Registry.

After that movie, I hated bedtime. I became afraid of the dark at around that time and still am to this day, I use night lights in dark areas of the house. Why? 

All because Abbott and Costello met Frankenstein.



Dog Brindle





    


No comments:

Spirit World