Meeting Sasquatches While Camping

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia - The Fear of the Number 666





The Number of the Beast 666 
from the biblical verse Revelation 13:18


"This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666."

The mark of the beast. The Anti-Christ.

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia, a man-invented phobia. The name comes from a Greek word, just as hard to pronounce, which basically means uncountable. An imperfect number and is a surprisingly common phobia. It has its origins in superstition and religious beliefs.

It is closely related to Triskaidekaphobia, the fear of the number 13.

Example #1 Women feared giving birth on June 6, 2006  (06/06/06)

Example #2 Nancy Reagan talked Ronald Reagan into changing the address of their home in Bel-Air from 666 St. Cloud Road to 668 St. Cloud Road. 

Example #3 The famous Route 66 has an exit highway #666. It became known as the Devil's Highway because of the number of road related deaths.


Why?

Can you imagine someone suffering from Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia, receiving a bill stub for some groceries they bought and it reads $6.66 on the bar code.

Or their odometer turning 666 miles. 

The phobia is hard to diagnose and the only treatment options are religious counselling in conjunction with professional psychotherapy, NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programing) and Hypnotherapy. 

I have to admit.  If my phone number had 666 in it, I'm pretty sure I'd change it.  If my address was 666 I probably wouldn't have moved into or bought that house.  If I were born with 666 written on my scalp.  I'm certain I'd shoot myself.

Dog Brindle





1 comment:

Rea de Miranda said...

Just like some hotels don't have a room or floor 13.

What's Trending Right Now