Evil Eye - Joyce Carol Oates



Four believable horror stories, of love/life, everything, all gone wrong. The type of stories you've heard about but never would have experienced, hopefully. They are real life horror situations, no matter what you might want to believe.

Infact, stories most people don't even want to talk about let alone to acknowledge it exists. Incest, child molestation, and suicide. Stuff that make your skin crawl.

I picked this book because of it's cover, it caught my eye. Finding out later that two of the novellas contain characters with one eye. It really doesn't explain why. I guess one of those inside jokes, you'd have to be there, played by the writer. Don't expect any conclusions to these stories because there isn't any. You just know life carries on.

The book started slow, with the Evil Eye Novella. I read it and wasn't that impressed but instead of not finishing, I'm glad I stuck with it and finished to the end. Then I reread the first chapter and it clicked. I was left wanting more.

All of them, made be gasp, like a little old lady.

I give this book 5 stars. ***** 

I loved it.

I'd file this book on the Odd and Bizarre shelf. Mysterious and intriguing.

Dog Brindle



~~~~




Product Details


More About the Author

Biography

Joyce Carol Oates is the author of more than 70 books, including novels, short story collections, poetry volumes, plays, essays, and criticism, including the national bestsellers We Were the Mulvaneys and Blonde. Among her many honors are the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in Short Fiction and the National Book Award. Oates is the Roger S. Berlind Distinguished Professor of the Humanities at Princeton University, and has been a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters since 1978.


Like most of the books I read, this one came from the Surrey Public Library. On the shelf Books We Liked

*This review has been, posted on:
          AmazonGoogle Books, and Goodreads





No comments: