Perfect Humans

Fear of Old People - Gerontophobia


This old guy approaches a bus stop.

A teenager and a young woman are already sitting on the bench waiting for the bus to arrive.  As he nears, they both get up and let him have the bench. He was so thankful.

Should he have been?



Were they just being friendly or were they suffering from Gerontophobia. The fear of old people.

When he got home he hobbled to get his trusty dictionary. He had to look it up, almost tripping over his cane and Oxfords, reaching over his wife's Singer to turn on his Pet Computer. He sat and had tea while the dial-up connected. 

A half hour later he was in business, 
He typed in G E R O N T O P H O B I A

The Pet was getting testy. Five minutes later and a few grumbles later...

Gerontophobia, flashed across the screen. Greek meaning "Old Man." A phobia, a fear of growing old, or a hatred or fear of the elderly. A form of discrimination, ageism. This unreasonable fear manifests itself in feelings of hostility and discriminatory acts towards the elderly.


What amazes me is this: The hatred stems from another phobia, Thanatophobia. The fear of death or dying and ageing is a day by day effort of getting there. People think their immortal and when they see someone old, it throws them out of kilter.

What would cause someone to fear a little old man?

Who?

I asked my high profile, psychologist friend, Jim the mechanic at the corner garage. "Jim I said", I had to say it twice, the second time louder.  Jim's hard of hearing, he's seventy-three.  "Jim I said, did you know that there are people afraid of us because we're old."

"I know why," Jim said, putting down his #5 Wrench.  He walked around behind the counter and pulled out, a 22 shot-gun, waving it at me. He nearly, almost, just about, accidentally triggered it.

Oh, oh! I ducked! Just after I shit my pants.

"Because they know we don't kid around," he said.

It went off, blowing the television set to smithereens.

Case closed. I can see why people fear us! I was afraid myself.



Dog Brindle

(disclaimer)
I made this story up. There was no old man at a bus stop. I have no friends, esp. a mechanic with a shotgun. It's true about Gerontophobia.





2 comments:

James Hamilton said...

Gerontopia?

People have been afraid of me my entire life. I thought it would slacken as I became older. I was wrong. Now you tell me that they also hate me because I am is old? Life is a bitch and then you die. '-)

James Hamilton said...

Gerontophobia?

People have been afraid of me my entire life. I thought it would slacken as I became older. I was wrong. Now you tell me that they also hate me because I am is old? Life is a bitch and then you die. '-)

Spirit World