Meeting Sasquatches While Camping

Apology - Jon Pineda



Apology written by Jon Pineda

Let me start off by saying I love the structure of this novel.  Short little spurts of information, in neat little paragraphs, in eight neat chapters.  

It makes for a quick read.

About a man nick-name Shoe, with bad foot.  It's never addressed except he limps and drags his foot behind him when he walks.  No one likes him. He lands a job on a construction site.  

His real name is Exequiel.

He takes the blame for his nephew Mario, over an unfortunate accident and is sent to prison then gets out.

This turns into a very complicated story, with moral issues from different viewpoints.  But to my dismay, it lacked emotion.  The only thing emotional was me. I respected Exequiel but hated him.  Why I could not tell you. The same with Mario, I felt the emotion, and hated him also, for letting someone else take blame.  

No one tells us how they feel even though you do get a sense of doom and gloom throughout the whole book.

I found I was re reading many lines forgetting who was talking, or even who was being talked too.

I enjoyed the beginning, but soon lost interest, and struggled to the end.
I'd give it a three star rating ***

Dog Brindle




About the Author

Jon Pineda is the author of the novelApology , winner of the 2013 Milkweed National Fiction Prize. His memoir Sleep in Me is a Barnes & Noble "Discover Great New Writers" 2010 Holiday Selection and a Library Journal"Best Books of 2010" selection. He is the author of the poetry collections The Translator's Diary, winner of the Green Rose Prize, and Birthmark, winner of the Crab Orchard Award Series in Poetry Open Competition. 


Product Details









No comments:

What's Trending Right Now