British English VS American English

Grandpa, Lily, Eddie gather round.
Dog Brindle has mentioned us in his new book.

So, I've written my draft, checked and rechecked. Thought I better do it one more time.



It's going to be a sensational best seller.  I can feel it!


As I pass it through the online editor, flashing lights go off!!! Sirens ring the alarm.

My best seller has a few consistency problems. I have been using British and American English. I would have to make a decision and go with one or the other.

I thought about it. I'm Canadian, we use British English in Canada.

I changed all the American spellings to the British.

I sat back to admire my work.

Something wasn't right!

The first chapter in my book deals with situations that happened in India, under British Control. Perfect I thought for writing in British English.  

Wrong!

There were these men, in a gaol cell.

WTF! is a gaol cell you ask?

Gaol, the British Spelling for jail. It just didn't look right!

What's this!

No, it's not a spelling mistake. Wagon was spelt with two g's. Waggon. 

No! This couldn't be happening. 
People would think I was stupid. A typo, Or something!

Around the late 1700's British and American English sounded pretty much the same.

-Rhotic speakers pronounce the "R" in such as words like; lard, rough, answer. American

-Non Rhotic speakers don't.  Those words would sound like; lahd, auhough, answah. British

I don't want people to think I'm a traitor for not using British English for my book but you can see the predicament I'm in.  

Anyways... I've changed it all to American English. 

Who in Canada doesn't enjoy a good Ghost Story even if written in American English? 

I'm thinking market here.


Dog Brindle


No comments: