My Micro Wave Oven


My Micro Wave Oven

Do you remember? The new monster in your kitchen. No! too young you say...






My Micro Wave Oven

I’m digitally challenged.



If you are as old as I am, you might remember the first time you saw a micro wave oven, now coined 
“an old dinosaur”just like your PET is by todays standards, compared to your Mac. 

It’s hard to imagine but the first one built was six feet tall and weighed 750 lbs. and at the time cost about $5000 dollars. It wasn’t a big seller.
Then came the first counter top model.  It slowly rose in sales until it eventually was outselling traditional stoves, 100-volts, not very powerful, and about $500.  A lot of money in the sixties and early seventies. The cost today; if on sale, in the discount bin, with a coupon, a million year warranty from your local drug store, incentives, less the GST, $60 bucks. Cheap, cheap, cheap.
They usually had two dials. One an on and off switch, the other and warm, warmer, almost hot, repeat switch.
It was so complicated.  I would break out in a sweat, just boiling water.  Will I get radiation poisoning, does it leak, will it kill my cat???   Strange images went through my mind.  
I never found out, until later when I read in the paper, the increase in that phenomena. Odd and strange as it sounds, people (usually children, bad seeds) really do put their cats (or babies, brothers and sisters) inside, and cooked them alive. 
This is mine.  
Too small to be considered a murder weapon.
(not if you're a cat)
18 inches wide and 9 inches tall,
not much room for anything. 
It’s high over the fridge, a dangerous position, 
you need a stool to stand on, but I don't I just reach. Especially, when it's only water, that's boiling.
Dog's Eye View
Armed to the teeth, 
with 1600 volts of pure power. 
Looks are deceiving.  
Boils water in fifteen seconds, 
Unfortunately, 
I didn’t put that in the equation 
when I was building the cupboard, 
I never said I knew how to design kitchen's.
Or did I?
So... it’s not recommended for people under five-ten,or people with an IQ of a Dodo bird, or people that think they can build kitchen cabinets.
Now, time being what it is, 
I couldn’t live without one, 
if not just for the mirror alone 
and to warm up my coffee 
as I write this blog.

Dog Brindle




No comments: